Many years ago, Agroaceite aligned its sustainability strategy with the Sustainable Development Goals and the ten universal principles of the United Nations Global Compact.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) were adopted by the leaders of 193 countries on September 25, 2015. The UN Global Compact was launched in 2000 for companies to align their strategies with 10 universal principles on human rights, employment standards, the environment and the fight against corruption and to take steps to promote SDG.
Among the achievements that Agroaceite has reached for the benefit of its workers and communities, we can mention the following:
- In addition to providing more than a thousand decent employment opportunities in the area, the average worker’s salary is above 70% of the national minimum wage.
- The workers are constantly trained in technical, human and institutional subjects with the purpose of creating the necessary skills that allow them to develop themselves in a personal and professional way.
- Over 70% of the workers belong to the credit union, with great personal and family benefits.
- Training is provided to community leaders including topics such as climate change, natural disaster reduction, health and nutrition, prevention of COVID, human rights and entrepreneurship, among others.
- Health and education programs are implemented for the benefit of the inhabitants of the area, through the Center for Human Development. Agroaceite was awarded the RSPO 2019 Excellence Award, in the Community Impact category, for the implementation of the Human Development Center, which reflects the company’s integral vision of providing access to quality education and health.
On the environmental issue, Agroaceite has been concerned about implementing technologies to save water, recycle agrochemicals, produce clean energy in processing plants and hundreds of hectares have been allocated for forest conservation.
In terms of ethical integrity, the company has labor, socio-environmental and anti-corruption policies, as well as a code of ethics and an ethical line for complaints.
“Our sustainability program includes many issues of the SDG and the principles of the United Nations Global Compact,” said Javier Aguirre, Corporate Director of Agroaceite. “We will continue this year to implement programs that contribute to their scope, from the local and national levels.